Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pneumonia & Fainting

Yep, the fun never ends around here!!! Caden has had a cough for the past 3 weeks or so. Started out as just an occasional dry cough. On Tuesday, last week, he woke up and said he wasn't feeling good. Being the practical Mom that I am, I checked for a fever. No fever. No throwing up. No blood loss. I told him he had to go to school. He was not happy and I was sure he was ok and just not wanting to go to school. (Remember the story of the Little Boy That Cried Wolf?.......) That night he did go to basketball practice and Fremont's final basketball game. On Wednesday, last week, when he woke up he didn't look well. His color was pale and his eyes seemed a little sunken. I suggested he stay home from school. He refused. He went to school and did ok. That night, on the way home from the Draper Temple open-house he suddenly spiked a fever. We kept him home from school on Thursday and Friday. He felt well enough to play in his basketball games Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. He even had a couple of friends come over and hang out after his game on Saturday.
Sunday he woke up and looked rough. I sent him back to bed. He slept ALL day and then I had to wake him up to go to bed that night.
Needless to say, he went to the doctor on Monday! He was given a thorough check, had labs drawn and then was guided into the x-ray room. As he was standing in position for the x-ray, he passed out. Wade heard a crash and then the rad tech calling out Caden's name rather loudly. He was only out for a matter of seconds, but he managed to scare the life out of the rad tech and mangle up his right ear, back and right thigh. As he was loosing consciousness he staggered back a bit and ended up falling on a large wooden block, used for propping.
Oh yeah, he also left with a prescription in hand for Walking PNEUMONIA!!!
Man, am I Mother of the Year or what?! There I was thinking he was faking sick and the poor kid has pneumonia! Don't think I will win any awards......

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, don't feel to bad...when Isaac broke his leg the first time I waited for 3 days cause I didn't think it was broken. I made him put weight on it, tried to get him to walk around...thankfully I learned my lesson and the next time I took him in right away even though everyone told me his leg couldn't be broken...well it was and I was glad I didn't wait that time.

Marriott's said...

Poor kid. Stockton had Pneumonia last year. It was horrible. I felt like a bad mom too. But I would never ever say you were a bad mom. Look how great your kids are!!!!

Cayley said...

Wow - that sounds rough! This is definitely the season for all those fun sicknesses like pneumonia.