Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Super Man!

Today is my Dad's birthday. He is 74 yrs old today. I view today as a gift. As positive as one may try to be when dealing with an incurable cancer it has been hard, at times, to believe that he would be here for his birthday. It truly feels like such a blessing to be able to celebrate his birthday with him.
On Saturday we were able to have a big birthday party for him. My sister, Corrie, chose a 'Superman' theme. Definitely very fitting. We had the party in Wellsville at my brother, Dustin's house. There was great food and a lot of laughs to be had by all. Our niece, Ashley, agreed to come to Wellsville to take family pictures. Our original plans were to have them taken in front of the old barn at our old house. However, due to a conflict with the present home-owner, that did not work out. Dad wanted to have the Wellsville Mtns as our back-drop. That was easy since all we had to do was walk out Dustin's front door for that back drop.
Unfortunately the rain played havoc for a while and then cleared up leaving a beautiful rainbow as an extra birthday wish.
It was so great to have us 7 kids with Mom and Dad for pictures. Thanks to Dustin and Carrie for the use of their home for the party! Thanks to Ashley and Dwight for driving to Wellsville for pictures! Thanks to Corrie for the amazing 'Superman' cake and Nancy for the great food and organizing the party! It was truly a party to be remembered!!!
Our Dad has been our *hero* for all our lives. How fitting to honor him on his birthday as a 'Super Man'. I found a tile for him that says "If you don't believe in heroes, You haven't met my Dad". We all feel this way about him. He is an amazing example for all of us. He continues to live his life with complete faith and love.
I love you Dad!!! You made it to your birthday, YEAH!!! Now we can look forward to your next birthday and many more to come!!!

2 comments:

Dwight and Ashley Family said...

You are so welcome. I had a lot of fun doing the pictures!! You have such a great family. Your dad is a special person. He is so dang cute. I am glad he had a great birthday. I will never forget him in his superman outfit!!!!!! SO CUTE!!!!

Anonymous said...

You know I often wonder how I ever got chosen to be his daughter. Luck maybe, but I don't think so... I feel so blessed to have him as my/our dad. I honestly didn't think we would have him here for this birthday but I am so thankful for this time we have had. THANK YOU for ALL that you and your family do and sacrifice for them, I love you. Corrie